Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ghosts

Today I present Ladytron's "Ghosts" video, in which the Liverpudlians go kinda No Country For Old Men on us. With much better hair and shoes, obviously.



It's mere weeks until Velocifero hits the shelves. I've lived with it for a while now and I haven't managed to get into it. I don't hear any hooks, none of the songs really pull me in, and Ladytron continues to eschew their fun, poppier moments in favor of darker, more atmospheric songs. It just feels flat to me. I listen to the album and at the end, I can't really remember anything about it.

As with all of their albums, I think this one is too long. Also troublesome is that it features more songs that bring repetition to whole new levels. Remember "Seventeen"? Well, one track in particular ("Runaway") features the line "my little runaway" sung 32 times (yes, I counted), most of them IN A ROW. It's mind-numbing. A repeated phrase does not a good chorus make!

It's not all bad news though. There's one song I'm in love with called "Kletva" which is apparently a cover song from a 1970s Bulgarian children's film. It's rather noisy and beautiful and joyous and most importantly, it actually rocks and has some dynamics. I'm still hoping that eventually something will click and I'll get the album because I really like Ladytron.

No comments: