Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Blonde Redhead, Dandys To Cover The Cure?

Pitchfork posted a news item today about a Cure tribute record that's in the works. I'm not usually that excited by tribute records because they're often full of really uninspired covers. This one has me intrigued, though, due to the presence of a couple of favorite bands.

Blonde Redhead (who made one of my favorite records of 2007) are set to cover "The Funeral Party". They seem like they would be perfectly suited to covering The Cure. I'm glad they didn't choose an obvious track to cover (i.e. a huge single like "The Lovecats").

The Dandy Warhols are tackling "Primary" (another great song choice). I'd guess they're quite capable based on their great cover of The Cult's classic "She Sells Sanctuary".

Sounds like I'll have to wait to hear this as it's not scheduled to be released until late 2008/early 2009. In the meantime, the new Cure album is set to be released June 3rd while Earth To The Dandy Warhols is rumored to be released before the summer.

I'll be seeing The Cure in Denver, Salt Lake City, and New York this summer. I guess you could say I'm a fan.

Here's the Dandy Warhols covering The Cult. It's from a charity record, so I didn't feel right making this available for download. Stream away, and if you like it, buy it!

No comments: