Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Caravan Girl

OK, everybody knows how much I love Goldfrapp, but the announcement for their next single is a little disappointing:

CD
1. Caravan Girl
2. Happiness (Video)

Maxi CD
1. Caravan Girl (Live Choral Version)
2. Monster Love (Live Acoustic Version)
3. Little Bird (Live at The Union Chapel - Video)

7" numbered picture disc
A. Caravan Girl
B. Little Bird (Animal Collective Remix)

I have issues:

1. Do not make the second track on your two-track single a video! I resent buying a single that has only one audio track on it. Sure, there's the video but I have to put it in my PC to watch it. Annoying.

2. A different version of the single on the maxi CD is a good start. A live version of "Monster Love" sounds good too. But then, another video that I can only watch on my PC. At this point, a DVD single would have made more sense. What happened to DVD singles, anyway?

3. This is the third single from the album and still no b-sides. Still no sign of the 10+ songs that were scrapped during recording sessions. I don't know how far they got with any of those but maybe they could have finished a couple for b-sides.

By the third single in support of Supernature, we had two really excellent b-sides ("All Night Operator" and "Beautiful") and two really amazing remixes "Number 1 (Alan Braxe and Fred Falke Main Remix)" and "Ride A White Horse (Ewan Pearson Disco Odyssey Parts 1 + 2)" so I'm feeling just a little disappointed.

Of course I'll buy them anyway. "Little Bird" was amazing live and I definitely think it's a contender for a good remix (and they could use one; the remixes from this record have been a bit boring) so all is not lost. The single is released in the UK on 6/30. No word of a US release yet, but I'm not holding my breath since they didn't do one for "Happiness."

Here, have an actually quite nice remix from this album that is thus far unreleased: Goldfrapp - Happiness (Rex The Dog Remix)

2 comments:

jcf said...

Ouch. I could never get that in to Goldfrapp, but one thing I always noticed about them was they seemed to take good care of their fans with quality stuff on the b-sides of their multitude of singles. That tracklisting hurts me to look at it because there's practically nothing there.

As a fellow collector, I feel your pain. :(

Daft Monk said...

Disappointing is right on here. I hadn't seen the tracklisting before and you make some very good points about the single because they aren't really giving people who own the album much of a reason to pick it up. "Happiness" did get a US release even if was only digitally. Honestly after the way Mute/EMI botched Supernature I'm pleased they are even doing that. Actually if the label was smart they would still be pushing “A & E” to Modern AC radio and trying to get placed in tv shows because I think it’s the bands best shot at a US hit to date.